What is in this article?:
What is the Brown Revolution? Reduced tillage and conservation practices that preserve soil aggregates and root networks, delivering these benefits:
- Increased soil water infiltration and storage.
- Increased carbon (organic matter) content, which feeds beneficial soil microbes.
- Increased soil aggregate stability (gas exchange and water infiltration rates)
- Better management and mediation of temperature and moisture extremes.
Estimating Fertilizer Value of Soil Organic Matter
- 2,000,000 lbs. soil in top 6 in.
- 1% organic matter = 20,000 lbs.
- Nitrogen: 1,000 lbs. x 60¢/lb. N = $600
- Phosphorus: 100 lbs. x 50¢/lb. P = $50
- Potassium: 100lbs. x 50¢/lb. K = $50
- Sulfur: 100 lbs. x 50¢/lb. S = $50
- Carbon: 10,000 lbs. or 5 ton x $0/ton = $ 0
Value of 1% SOM Nutrients/Acre = $750