What is in this article?:
- Space Age Sidedressing Ties N Dose to Weather | New Online Tool Brings New Accuracy Level to N Prescriptions
- How Adapt-N saved one farm 140 lbs. N/acre
- Adapt-N adjusts N recommendations in real time
Adapt-N adjusts N recommendations in real time
Web-based decision support tool provides field-specific N recommendations in real time, in-season.
- Suited for desktop, tablet or smartphone (browser).
- Computer model reflects latest weather conditions, soil type and plant-N-uptake physiology model every 24 hours. Modifies recommendations as weather and field conditions evolve, in real time.
- Determines if manured fields need additional N.
- Determine if you need rescue N after heavy spring rains, and/or as other variables change.
- Identifies remaining N after the growing season.
- Improved corn-growing profits in 86% of 2011 trials, by an average of $35/acre.
- Enables what-if planning.
- Available this year in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Northeast.
- One New York pilot farm had a 140-lb./acre N rate difference between conventional recommendation methods, with no lost yield. The same site also reduced its 2011 N leaching losses by about 77%, from 142 to 32 lbs./acre.
- Replicated trials in Iowa decreased N rates by 45 lbs./acre on average and increased grower profits in 78% of cases. N losses to the environment were decreased by 5-120 lbs./acre.
- Adapt-N has been presented at conferences held by the North Central Extension-Industry Conference, the National Alliance of Independent Crop Consultants, the Iowa Soybean Association On-Farm Network, Iowa State University’s Integrated Crop Management, the Soil and Water Conservation Society and the American Society of Agronomy.