What is in this article?:
- 6 Reasons to Sample for SCN this Fall
- Sampling guidelines
- If your populations come back as non-detectable (0) - and you have a good three-crop rotation (corn, wheat, soy) and you do not plant a double crop - sample for SCN every 20 years.
- If your populations come back as non-detectable (0) and you have wheat in your rotation but you double crop - sample for SCN every 10 years.
- If your populations are non-detectable (0) and you plant corn/soybean - sample every 10 years.
- If have SCN populations of 40 to 2,000 and you rotate corn/soybean/wheat, sample every five years.
- If SCN populations are 40 to 2,000 and you only plant soybeans, sample every year.
- If SCN populations have gotten out of control (>2,000) in the past, sample every year.
- Finally, fall is the best time to sample. It gives time for the labs to process them so you can make the best decision for choosing your variety for next year.
The following Ohio labs all process soil for SCN:
- OSU C. Wayne Ellett Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic, 8995 E. Main St. Bldg. 23, Reynoldsburg, OH 43068, 614-292-5006, http://ppdc.osu.edu
- Brookside Laboratory Inc., 308 S Main St., New Knoxville, OH 45871, Phone: 419-753-2448, FAX: 419-753-2949, http://www.blinc.com
- Geophyta Inc., 2685 CR 254, Vickery, OH 43464, Phone: 419-547-8538, FAX: 419-547-8538, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spectrum Analytic Inc., 1087 Jamison Rd. NW, Washington Court House, OH 43160, Phone: 800-321-1562 or 740-335-1562, FAX: 740-335-1104, http://www.spectrumanalytic.com