An emergency checklist:
If the worst happens, follow these guidelines.
1. Shut off all unloading equipment.
2. Call 911 or emergency response.
3. Don’t let anyone enter the scene until first-response personnel arrive.
4. If the bin has an aeration blower, turn it on to increase airflow and help the trapped person breathe.
5. Assemble equipment to help with the rescue, including front-end loaders, shovels, plywood for cofferdams and portable augers.
6. If you are trapped in a grain bin, stay near the outer wall and keep moving. If necessary, walk until the bin is empty or the flow stops.