Problems viewing videos?
Download latest Flash Player
Mike Steenhoek, executive director, Soy Transportation Council, gives insight as to what happens to commodity products at the LA Harbor Grain Terminal and how container shipping works.
Some container shipping stats:
· An average ship has 6,500 containers; the largest holds 8,500.
· There are an equal number of containers above deck as there are below that you don’t see.
· The ships that haul the containers cost around $100 million to build.
· The top exported products are scrap metal and scrap paper; ag commodities are in the top five.
· Exports are up 30% more/month for the last two to three months.